February 22, 2012

Mama's got a new lens in her bag!

When I make purchases, let me rephrase that.  When I make BIG purchases, I mull over the decision for weeks, sometimes longer.  When it was time to get my new computer, I weighed the options between laptop or desktop.  Screen size.  I even looked on Craig's List to see if there was anything cheaper than what Apple was selling them for.  I ended up saving money and buying it new.  Then, buyer's remorse kicks in.  Did I make the right choice?  Was it too soon?  Maybe I could have gone with out it a little longer... and well, you get the idea.  I get buyer's remorse baaaad.  Like, let me take it back and get the green cash back.  Luckily, I needed the computer and it's been a godsend these past two years.

Recently, over the last 4 months or so, I couldn't decided whether to get the 70-200 or the 85.  I normally rent the 70-200 because that lens is like $2k!  To be fair, all of the lenses are usually around that much.  But then, I read an article reviewing the more cost effective alternative of the 85mm.




The 85mm 1.8 USM.  Sure it's not an L series, which for me isn't a deal breaker.  Nor was the 1.4 because I hardly ever shoot completely wide open.  Unless it's low light or a detail shot.  Trying to get two people in focus at 1.4, good luck!  The $2k version also has image stabilizer and really, I NEVER use that.  One because it doesn't make the image look any better and at 1.8, I wouldn't even need it.  So that wasn't a deal breaker either.  After reading a couple more reviews, I learned that it was a pretty sharp lens for more than half the price.

Finally, last week, I went for it.  And I can't wait to start using it at my portrait sessions!  Just look at that bokeh!  This was shot at 1.8 and at 100% it is tack sharp.  Of course I had to test it on my favorite model :).



Both of these were shot at 1.8 and at a very high ISO because by this time it was 7 o'clock at night.  Even with the grain, they're both 100% sharp.

So if you're looking for a more cost effective lens that is guaranteed to be your power portrait lens, get this one.  I can't wait until I get to use it this weekend!

Happy Wednesday!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new lens purchase. I hear such great things about that lens! I am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe thanks! I'm excited and I want to shoot everything with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh how much was this, you've inspired me!

    Is it great for zooming?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Linda! It's a great lens and seriously, the only lens i use now! It costed me about $400.00 on Adorama.com. Because it's a prime lens, there's no zooming, what you see is what you get :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts on this post!